Sunday, May 8, 2011

Day 8: Mommy, I Want to be a Ring Girl

Mommy, I want to be a ring girl
and strut in stilletos, holding up the round
I've practiced getting in and out of ropes
I'm excited about the new path I've found.

Mommy, I want to be a ring girl
and be seen in sparkles by the entire world
and before you judge me and start to cry
know what that means to a lonely middle girl.

Mommy, I want to know I'm sexy
I want to walk through puddles of sweat and blood
I want to stand for the boxers who fight with their hearts
and dominate for that minute the boxing brotherhood.

Mommy, I hope you understand
you know I don't need your permission
this is my dream of owning a stage
and has nothing to do with submission.

Mommy, I want you to see me
as someone unbound by time
as worthy of spotlights and sparkly bras
strong, radiant, crystalline.

So Mommy, I'm gonna be a ring girl
I'll wave to you from HBO
millions of boxing fans around the world
will cheer for your baby, Bravo!

2 comments:

Rosie said...

I tried to edit this, but it didn't work. I would change the last stanza to say fight fans 'round the world instead of boxing fans, or whatever I wrote. Thanks for reading.

adam said...

loved the reading this morning