Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Day 18: Ellery Drive

I never knew the man named Ellery, but his name is a part of me
I am made of pale blue carpet
spaghetti and fish sticks
I am made of fire hydrant meetings at dark
and the lamp post I smiled at as I ate my breakfast
I am made of a certain ordinary tree and an old metal slide
I am made of many mouths of loose teeth
looking up the word orgy in the dictionary
I am made of the word intercourse which we found there
I am made of riding bikes
of laughter and singing, hiding and seeking
there was a boy I was mean to
I am made of him
I am made of handball aginst the garage door
and soccer in the rain
I am made of open doors
and places set at the neighbor's tables, just for me
I am made of manners and lent and hanging out in the driveway
I am made of sweet, magical summers
I am well made
I am not damaged goods
that was your word for me
I am made of Eggo's and Grandma's manicotti
distilled into this freckled face
this sleepy voice
this heart on a hand-me-down sleeve

No comments: