Thursday, May 26, 2011

Day 26: Wednesdays With Sylvia

Our first session:
Sylvia is 92, born in Genoa.
I walked in and she said, "LOOOK, I can touch my toes." She raised her arms and folded forward, fingers to her black tennies.
Sylvia drives, paints, has a dog, a cat, and a parrot. Her chihuahua died last night at 15.
I put my keys down on a carved wood table. "Someone offered me $18,000 for that. I took my keys off the carved wood table. She had three Tiffany lamps. They're Seconds," she said.
We spent thirty minutes practicing yoga together. Her ujjayi was as robust as my husband's. She was standing straighter when we were through.
Afterward she told me about her childhood in Genoa, and how she would walk to the mountaintop to gather mushrooms her mother would fry and serve alongside dinner. She told me this story twice. As I left, I thought I wouldn't mind hearing it a few more times.

1 comment:

adam said...

Absolutely fabulous. Warm, touching, and quite humorous.