Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Day 18: M&M

I used to think it was her niece
or her long lost daughter
Every book was dedicated to her, and every book was filled with beauty and passion.
How did she do that book after book?
Will I ever mean as much to anyone?
No. I won't. I am 46 now and will never mean as much to anyone.
No one will ever dedicate 20 books of poetry to me.
I think I would be more embarrassed if they did than knowing they never will.
Thank you for not dedicating 20 books of poetry to me.
But if you would like to do something special for my birthday-
she was a lover of beauty, and the woman on the dedication page was her love-
Open a book and read a poem for me. We can all be lovers of beauty, even when we don't feel so beautiful. We can all rememeber the way it feels to write someone's name on a page. It can feel so beautiful. Write my name and see how it feels. Then erase it and write the name of the one you love. Then go on with your day.
Her love has died. The last book was dedicated to someone else. Maybe her niece. Maybe her long lost daughter.

1 comment:

adam said...

I'm speechless, I know it's hard to believe. Stunning.