Monday, April 16, 2012

Day 17: More From Home

I think it was the time when all we had to eat was Krusteaz Just Add Water Cookie Mix that we were intoduced to Addy, the American Girl born to slaves in the south. We read of her adventures all day long between cookies for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Our adventure was quite different: to survive on cookies until pay day. We did survive. And we read the book in one day. I was going to return it the next, but Addy was now part of our story. And wasn't she always?

Grandma bought you ballet lessons on the hill. Those skinny blonde girls didn't like your kinky red hair and terra cotta skin. They didn't like that you were good and impressed the teacher. (As I recall, the teacher didn't like it either.)But you were good, and you were pretty, and you didn't stop smiling and neither did I. That was about the time we ate cookies until pay day. That was the time of my life.

No comments: